“Over the river and through the woods, to Grandmother’s house we go!”
Many animal shelters and rescue groups have had great success with targeting retired seniors to adopt animals — or even ‘Seniors for Seniors,’ by encouraging senior folks to adopt senior animals.
For the holiday season, we’ve coined the campaign “To Grandmother’s House We Go.” The goal is to encourage Grandma’s and Grandpa’s everywhere to open their home to a new pooch or kitty during the holiday season. Though you can offer ‘Seniors for Seniors’ year round — and highlight seniors on Grandparent’s Day too!
To help, we suggest reducing adoption rates for this demographic during the campaign. Suggestion: Ages 65 and over can adopt any animal with a 65% discount off the regular adoption fee. If they adopt a senior pet, they only pay $6.50.
Advertising to seniors provide a great opportunity to highlight all the wonderful health benefits there are to having a pet:
Owning a Cat Can…
- Lower blood pressure
- Reduced risk of stroke
- Lower cholesterol
- Reduce risk of heart attack
- Improve your immune function
- Lower risk of cardiovascular disease
Owning a Dog Can…
- Keep you active
- Lower stress
- Help with depression
- Boost your immune system
- Help you rehabilitate from illness
- Create a flyer that can be distributed at assisted living facilities (check that the facilities allow pets first!) – sample below
- Compose an email to send to your supporters
- Create a sharegraphic to display on your organization’s social media platforms – samples below
Sample Flyer (click to enlarge):
Sample Social Media Sharegraphics (click to enlarge):
Photography by Jason Putsche.