It important to promote all of the adoptable animals–not just the fuzzy ones. Some people may not even know your shelter has reptiles available. Leap Day is a great excuse to promote the shelter’s Leaping Lizards!
Reasons Reptiles Make Really Good Pets
- No Fur! Dust mites and pet dander account for a large percent of allergens in your home.
- They don’t eat much. Some reptiles only eat twice a month–there are few that require feeding every day. Many reptiles are herbivores, so you don’t have to worry about live feedings.
- They can recognize people, and usually attach to one member of the family as their favorite (hint: If you want to be the favorite, we suggest you take on the feeding responsibilities.)
- Reptiles are ok being home alone all day, or even overnight–if you’re out of town for the weekend.
- No walking or grooming with reptiles.
- Reptiles live long lives.
- They are far less messy than your average mammal.
- Start promoting your Leaping Lizards campaign on social media a week before Leap Day. This will give potential adopters a few days to get prepared.
- Create a flyer to advertise the promotion at the shelter and post on community bulletin boards.
- Consider offering a discount on all reptile adoption fees.
Sample Sharegraphic (click to enlarge)