Throughout the month of November, you have a great opportunity to highlight your more distinguished residents—the silver foxes and veteran vixens! There are many advantages to adopting a senior pet, and its important to remind potential adopters about that!
Here are just a few examples why senior pets make perfect pets:
- Many senior dogs and cats are already housebroken/litter box trained.
- Most senior dogs are well past their “teething” (chewing) stage—your shoes and furniture will thank you.
- Senior cats know the difference between a scratching post and your furniture.
- What you see is what you get. There is no need for guessing the personality or size of the pet.
- Senior pets don’t need as much exercise and are generally calmer.
- Senior pets (generally considered 8 years and older) still have many years ahead of them.
- Senior pets are grateful to have a home – and show their appreciation.
- Older pets are accustomed to human’s schedules, and will let you sleep through the night.
- Contrary to the adage, old dogs CAN learn new trick—and so can senior cats!
Take this opportunity to put your senior pets’ best paw forward—even if it’s a salt and pepper paw. 🙂
- Offer discounted adoption fees for senior pets.
- Contact local TV news stations and ask if they would be willing to feature one or more of your senior pets for Adopt a Senior Pet Month.
- Create a social media sharegraphic for your social media profiles – sample below.
- Create a flyer to post around the shelter and on local community bulletin boards.
Sample Social Media Sharegraphic (click to enlarge):
Sample Blog Post: